Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival

Mark and I took a trip to Canby to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival .
This is the 3rd year that I have attended the show and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
Even though I would probably shrivel and fade outside of the city lights, This little voice inside my head says I could totally live on the farm and take care of sheep, chickens and Alpacas.

Then I remember that all of that takes place in the early morning and not after several diet cokes in the wee hours of the night.



There was a huge menagerie of fiber animals on display and for sale. Even a rare Bactrian Camel (2 humps) and a Tibetan Yak.



By far my favorite was the Navajo- Churro sheep. This is the a wool used in Navajo blankets and have been one of the mainstays of the Navajo people. The Rams have 4 horns and are something to see.





Bactrian Camel. Look at that face !



Tibetan Yak and an Alpaca







Navajo- Churro Ram and a mohair goat



Across the walkway and past the show ring was an open air spinning circle. Folks brought there spinning wheels and drop spindles, sat in a large circle and spun "yarns".



What an ideal way to build community and friendships.
It also makes me want to learn to spin on a spinning wheel. As if I need one more distraction.


There was also an open air and indoor fiber market with everything from yarn and baskets to wool carders, spinning wheels and looms.




I missed the fiber competition, however Mark was able to get some pictures of some of the entries. Those pictures a lot more can be seen on my Flikr site.


I was very good and walked away with only some dyed mohair locks for doll hair and a new ear flap hat ( I have always wanted one).



Mark modeling my new ear flap hat!

1 comment:

Absolutely Small said...

I love these photos! Especially the mohair goat- I didn't know those guys were so cute.